Friday, June 18, 2010

Review #4: Lucky

Lucky
by Alice Sebold
246 pages
Grade: B+

I assure you, I am not as much a snob as I seem. I know that to date I haven't graded a book higher than this but I'm in the midst of another book at the moment that I feel confident with receive the coveted A. :)

Lucky is a well-written account of Alice Sebold's tragic victimization her freshmen year of college. She was raped. I found the book compelling and accurate. I could relate with her want to calm the room and put her best face forward. Though I don't wish to go into the details of my own life, I felt that she truly represented me as a rape victim. Ms. Sebold neglected to express her true feelings about the events in order to make her family and friends feel more comfortable. Her recount of the next few years, of the entire process, breaks your heart and brings forth a well of emotions. Though I loved the book overall, the first thirty-forty pages took me a long time to get through, and that is why it wasn't graded higher. I definitely recommend this read, whether you are a rape victim or not, because it puts things into perspective for us all.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win